Wednesday 26 May 2010

O'date - 14th June 2010

That's the challenge date set: Monday 14th June 2010.

Earlier I mentioned power would be a problem, so I purchased a 65Ah Gel battery. At 24Kg's it's heavy. With weight in general being an issue with light aircraft, G-DRAM being a seaplane is a wee bit different. We will be landing heavy on fresh water lochs, not to mention trying to get back out of them again!

Pushing the weight issue to the back of my mind, I now have tested the recently repaired FT100, running 100watts & my vertical antenna in the garden. All appeared to work fine however..... Yes it's weight again, Hamish has now secured the loan of a life raft which we now have to factor in, my kit has come under strict scrutiny.



In order to deploy the kit quickly I have tried to be innovative using an electrical cable reel converted to deploy 20 metres of RG58 coax, three 5 metre metal retractable measuring tapes as ground planes & winders for guys which also use small lanyard spring clips.

Finally for those that have been following the story, I mentioned some friends that we met on our Dry-Run trip last month. They were Dave & Zan who came to visit us at Loch Righ Mor (Isle of Jura). Both professional photographers they shot some amazing pictures of us from on land & from their helicopter. Here are some examples of G-DRAM as a small speck on Loch Righ Mor, Hamish imitating a firestarter whilst making a brew of tea & finally an absolute cracker of G-DRAM, again on Loch Righ Mor.



Regards

DEQ





No comments:

Post a Comment